HOW DO I BECOME A CONTESTANT?
Step 1: First, you must take, and pass, the online test.
- Set up a MyJeopardy! profile to register for the online test and receive updates about the test and auditions.
- When setting up your profile, be sure to check the box to receive the Jeopardy! newsletter. That way you’ll always know when test dates, times and reminders are announced.
- The online test for adults happens at the same time all across the country. National events are scheduled one to two times a year. Each event may extend across three nights, but you may only take the test once per event to qualify for an audition. Multiple entries during any given event could result in disqualification.
- In the case of tournaments for teens and college students, the tests occur once per season, or as the tournaments are scheduled. Eligible college students may enter for both the College Championship and the regular adult shows during the same qualifying period.
- There is no separate qualifying test for the Teachers Tournament; teachers qualify for an audition by taking the adult online test.
- The online test consists of 50 categories and 50 clues. (Thirty for the Sports Jeopardy! test.)
Step 2: If you meet minimum eligibility requirements and pass the online test, the Jeopardy! contestant department could contact you anytime within one year of your test.Audition space is limited. A random selection process may be employed from among all applicants who have passed the online test, and invitations will be sent out until all available spots are filled.
- another test similar to the online test
- a mock version of the game
- an interview that shows your personality
Adults who have participated in an in-person audition will remain in the applicant pool for 18 months after the date of their audition and may not participate in online testing again until that eligibility period has expired. Tests and auditions for college students and teens are tournament-specific.
Contestants are selected to compete on the show based on a combination of their online test score, in-person test score, and their performance in the audition game and interview. Prospective contestants are notified about a month in advance.
IS THERE A FEE TO TAKE THE ONLINE TEST?
There is no fee to take any of the tests, but any costs you incur in connection with the test and audition (including, but not limited to, accommodations, meals, transportation and parking) must be at your own expense.
WHAT ARE THE MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS?
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible:
- must be over 18 (except for the Teen Tournament, College Championship)
- must not have appeared on any version of the show with Alex Trebek
- must not be employed by, related to, or have, within the last five years, known anyone who works for Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc., Sony Pictures Television Inc., Quadra Productions, Inc., CBS Television Distribution, "Wheel of Fortune" or Jeopardy! prize suppliers, or any TV station (including advertisers and related radio stations) broadcasting "Wheel of Fortune" or Jeopardy!
ARE CANADIANS ELIGIBLE TO TAKE THE TEST?
Yes, Canadians are eligible.
THERE IS MORE THAN ONE ELIGIBLE ADULT/TEEN/COLLEGE STUDENT IN MY HOUSEHOLD. CAN THEY TAKE THE TEST AT THE SAME TIME?
Yes, they can both take the test, but they will each need to register with a different email address, and they will each need their own computer or mobile device to take the test.
I'M ELIGIBLE TO TAKE BOTH THE COLLEGE AND THE ADULT TESTS. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
If you’re eligible to take the college online test, you may take it once per season. You may also take the adult online test during each of the test periods as long as you meet all eligibility requirements for both.
CAN I PARTICIPATE IF I HAVE A DISABILITY?
Jeopardy! is proud of its long-standing reputation of openness to applicants with disabilities. If you have a disability and require assistance to complete the online test, you may have a family member, friend, or assistant read the clues to you and/or type in your responses. Please note print-to-speech software and/or voice recognition programs might not allow you to answer quickly enough. If you are selected for an audition, our contestant coordinators will work with you on any necessary accommodations.
WHEN IS THE NEXT ONLINE TEST, AND HOW DO I APPLY?
Adult online test events are scheduled to take place one to two times per year. To learn about upcoming test dates and to register to take the test, set up a MyJeopardy! profile and check the box to receive the Jeopardy! newsletter, which will let you know when tests are coming up.
I TOOK THE TEST LAST YEAR. CAN I TAKE IT AGAIN?
Yes: If you took last year’s test, you are welcome to participate in this round of testing even if it hasn’t been a full year. There are two exceptions to this rule:
- You are not eligible if you took the test and attended an in-person audition within the last 18 months. If you did attend an audition, but you would like to take the test "just for fun,” please select "Yes" for the appropriate show history eligibility question. You will not be considered for a contestant audition.
- If you attended an authorized Jeopardy! contestant event (e.g., Jeopardy! Challenge), passed a qualifying test and participated in an audition, you must wait 18 months from the date of that audition before you are eligible to take the online test. If you did not pass the qualifying test, the regular online test rules apply. Any attempt to take the online test during your period of ineligibility could result in disqualification.
AM I REGISTERED? DO I NEED TO RE-REGISTER?
You will need to register for each new test when it is announced. However, once you have a MyJeopardy! profile, we’ll have all your information on file. Registering will be quick and easy, and you will be able to update your preferences and test date. If you have signed up to receive the Jeopardy! newsletter, you'll receive notifications as new tests are announced. Plus, you can always check your test status in your profile dashboard.
I AM UNABLE TO TAKE THE TEST AT THE DESIGNATED TIME. CAN I LOG IN LATE OR RESCHEDULE?
The test dates and times are not flexible. The test will begin three minutes after the hour according to the test site's clock, and you must be logged in before the test begins. We recommend logging in at least 20 minutes early. You may take the test on any night that is convenient for you. There is no need to notify us of the date. Make sure to account for time zone differences. You may only take the test once during the testing cycle. Subsequent attempts will result in disqualification.
HOW LONG WILL THE TEST TAKE?
The test consists of 50 categories and 50 clues (30 for the Sports Jeopardy! test), and you will have 15 seconds to respond to each clue. The test will take approximately 12 minutes. You cannot log in late or restart.
HOW DO I SUBMIT MY RESPONSES?
Anything you have typed into the response field will be automatically captured after 15 seconds. You will then hear a "ping" alerting you to the next clue, and the next category will be presented. You cannot pause, stop or go back.
To manually submit a response, you may click "Submit," but we encourage you to wait for the full 15 seconds to elapse. Pressing the "enter" or “return” key on the keyboard will not submit a response.
DO I HAVE TO RESPOND IN THE FORM OF A QUESTION?
No. Do not respond in the form of a question.
DO I HAVE TO TYPE FULL NAMES?
No, last names are acceptable unless otherwise specified in the clue.
WILL I BE PENALIZED FOR SPELLING ERRORS?
No, as long as they do not change the way the response would be spoken. Partial and mistyped answers will be considered.
WILL COMPLETING THE TEST QUICKLY IMPROVE MY SCORE?
WHAT HAPPENS IF I WANT TO SKIP AHEAD TO THE NEXT CLUE?
You may skip ahead to the next clue by clicking “Submit,” but we encourage you to use any extra time to re-check the category and your response. Any partial data that you enter into the response field will be captured and submitted "as is" when the time expires for that clue.
WHAT ARE THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS TO TAKE THE TEST?
You can take the test on either a Mac or PC. The test is compatible with mobile or tablet devices, though we don’t recommend using those devices.
Your device must meet the following requirements:
- High-speed internet connection.
- Internet Explorer 10 and above, the latest version of Firefox, Chrome, or Safari 5.0 and above. The test is NOT compatible with AOL browsers. We encourage you to become familiar with the test format by taking the practice tests at Jeopardy.com.
- A screen resolution of 1024x768 or larger. Make sure your text settings are no larger than 100%, "normal" or "medium" size. Increased text settings may prevent you from viewing the test in full.
I AM HAVING TROUBLE LOGGING IN AND TAKING THE TEST ON TEST NIGHT. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
If you are on a Mac or PC, try the following:
- Close all running programs and restart your computer. Open your preferred browser and try to log in again.
- Do not run any other programs while taking the online test.
- If none of these tips work and your computer has all of the technical requirements listed above, please send a note with your internet browser and version, your operating system and the error message you are receiving to email@example.com, and we'll do our best to help troubleshoot.
CAN I TAKE THE TEST ON MY MOBILE OR TABLET DEVICE?
Yes, the test is compatible with mobile and tablet devices, but we strongly suggest you take the online test on a Mac or PC using a stable, high-speed internet connection.
CAN I TAKE THE TEST USING A DIAL-UP CONNECTION?
We cannot guarantee that the test will perform properly using a dial-up connection.
I FORGOT MY USERNAME OR PASSWORD.
On the sign-in screen, click “Forgot username?” or “Forgot password?” and you’ll receive instructions via email. Please note: It can take up to 30 minutes to receive a reply, so make sure you know your username and password before signing in to take the test.
WILL I RECEIVE MY TEST RESULTS?
No, you will not receive your score. You will know if you passed the test if a member of the Jeopardy! contestant department contacts you.
WHEN CAN I EXPECT TO BE CONTACTED AFTER THE TEST?
If you are selected to move on to the next round of auditions, the Jeopardy! contestant department could contact you anytime within one year of your test.
HOW ARE TEST TAKERS SELECTED TO MOVE FORWARD?
Due to an extremely limited number of audition appointments, those who pass the test will be included in a random selection process. Those selected to come to an audition will be invited to a city close to their ZIP/postal code (as entered during registration) to participate in a full audition process.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT IF I'M SELECTED TO AUDITION?
The audition takes about two hours and includes the following:
- a test similar to the online test
- a mock version of the game
- an interview that shows your personality
Adults who pass these criteria for regular shows will remain in the applicant pool for 18 months from the date of their in-person interview. Tests and auditions for college students and teens are tournament-specific.
HOW WILL I KNOW IF I'VE BEEN SELECTED TO COMPETE ON JEOPARDY!?
If you pass the test and do well at your audition, you are put in a pool of potential contestants for 18 months after your audition date. Being put in the pool does not guarantee that you will be invited to appear on the show. If you are selected to compete on the show, our contestant coordinators will contact you with full details.
I HAVEN'T BEEN CONTACTED. WHEN CAN I TAKE THE TEST AGAIN?
If you have not been contacted to audition by the time the next online test for your group occurs, we encourage you to register and take the test again, assuming you still meet all eligibility requirements. Passing the online test does not guarantee you an appearance on Jeopardy! or make you automatically eligible to appear on the show.
WILL YOU HOLD AUDITIONS IN MY CITY THIS YEAR?
Cities are changed during each testing cycle, and there is no guarantee that auditions will occur in any one city from year to year. The contestant department will make every effort to accommodate audition needs when possible.
HELP! I’M IN THE ACTIVE POOL OF CONTESTANTS, BUT I HAVE A NEW ADDRESS AND/OR PHONE NUMBER!
If you have taken and passed the test and have auditioned within the last 18 months, you may send us new contact information at JEOPARDY_contestant_department@spe.sony.com, and we will update your information in our files. Please use this email address for contestant department communication only. Refer to the “Contact Us” form for all other inquiries.
HOW DO I GET AUDIENCE TICKETS?
To request audience tickets to a live taping of Jeopardy!, fill out this form. The show typically tapes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from August to May. Available times and dates are posted a few weeks in advance. Tickets are free but limited.
WHERE IS JEOPARDY! TAPED?
Jeopardy! tapes at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California.
I THINK I CAUGHT A MISTAKE – HOW DO I CONTACT THE SHOW?
The fastest way to investigate a possible error on the show is to check in with our community of friends on Facebook where there is always a lively exchange of information. If you would like to send a message directly to the show, use this form. Please note that while we closely monitor this mailbox, we cannot reply to every email.
I HAVE AN IDEA FOR A CATEGORY!
We appreciate your creativity, but we are unable to accept unsolicited submissions.
IS THERE ANY WAY TO WATCH JEOPARDY! ONLINE?
We do not currently offer a streaming option.